Missionaries Just Want To Have Fun Too!

Some playgrounds are just too hard to resist...Even for a missionary.
Here, Elder Mumford enjoys a quick trip down the slide.
(Click on picture to enlarge)
Now here is Martin's letter that just arrived in the mail, dated August 27th, 2009:
Dear Everyone,
Sorry I couldn't e-mail much last week. Just as I was getting started, the librarian came up and told us to stop e-mailing. This is the third library we've been kicked out of, and I am getting a little tired of it. Japanese libraries are a little weird too; the reason you can't e-mail is because the sound of typing bothers other people in the library. Oh well. I'm just going to give up and snail mail my letters for the rest of my time in Kunitachi.

("Shhhhh..... You are typing too loud.")
Well, recently, it's been very busy here, because every year at this time, there is a HUGE festival in Tachikawa, and tons of little festivals all around. Part of it is for Obon, and part of it is for Natsu Matsuri. For example, there was a parade in our neighborhood the other day, with very elaborate, illuminated floats. it's called Nebuta Festival. There were lots of other parades in nearby neighborhoods too.
VIDEO: Festival in Yoyogi Park.
Click "PLAY" to view.
But the bigest parade was in Tachikawa. Everyone was dressed up in (Traditional?) Japanese clothing- the girls in kimonos, and the guys in top-kimonos, but with a speedo on the bottom. The fun thing is, there are a few dozen of these teams of people who carry a big...shrine-thingy, around the city. They all have different team uniforms, (but the speedos are the same) and they carry the big decorated shrine on their shoulders, chanting.

Natsu Matsuri parade in Tachikawa.
(This was the only picture that I could find that was vague enough to appear on this family friendly blog.)
It's very fun to watch, especially since the are all very drunk and sometimes have a hard time steering the shrine.
As with many Japanese festivals, there were of course, rows and rows of little stands selling takoyaki, okonomiyaki, chocolate bananas, yakisoba, and for some reason, fake guns! They have lots of stands where you can "save a goldfish" out of a little pool. Later we went to Kokubunji, and they were having similar parades and events there. Apparently, the summer festivals are everywhere this season.
Also, I wrote a nice letter to all my MTC district, and today I'll send it out to everyone! It's celebrating our "one year" mark .

(The missionaries place their wagers on who will be staying and who will leaving, once the transfer calls come in.)
Anyways, Elder Stavi is expecting he will be transferred, so this p-day was especially busy. Right now it's almost time for us to finish p-day and go back out. So I'll send another letter next week (If I stay) or an e-mail (If I transfer to a new area) So just keep your fingers crossed until I can get all the new info to you! Thanks!

(This is what a transfer looks like: All the transferring missionaries carry their bags, including their bike in a bag, and then meet in a central location. They meet their new companion and then go on their way to their new area.)
Love, Elder Mumford
Tokyo, Japan
p.s. Yes, I have felt a few earthquakes but only a tiny bit.
Wow, what I would have given, to have a camera on my mission that was also a video camera!
ReplyDeleteQuestion! Where is the slide that Martin is featured in? If i had known there was an awesome slide like this I would have totally been playing there! Please tell me!
ReplyDelete