Current Time In Tokyo Japan

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Reunion With The Kato Family!

In 2007, Martin stayed with the Kato Family in Hamamatsu, Japan, as part of a 2 week school exchange trip.


In 2008, we had the privilege of hosting Ryosuke Kato in our home in Camas Washington, as part of his school trip.
(Martin was away at BYU during this time, and when he saw this picture, he thought maybe we had replaced him, because Ryosuke seemed to fit in so well with our family.)

This past Sunday, May 3, 2009, the Kato family traveled 3 hours from their home to visit with Martin in the Hakuraku area of Tokyo.  They met Martin at the church, attended Sacrament Meeting with them, then took the Elders out to dinner.
(Kensuke Kato, Sakie Kato, Elder Mumford, Ryosuke Kato, Elder Kowalk, and Ikuko Kato;  in front of the church building.)

Here is a portion of an e-mail that I received from the Kato Mother, Ikuko:   (I am sharing her report of the visit, as she gives much more detail than Martin did :)
We could meet your son at the church early in the afternoon.(about 13:40)

We could come into the room Sacrament meeting by Martin.


After 14:30,we could talk with church members and staff, a little time. 

We could take a pictures in front of the church.


Martin and his room mate(Elder Kowalk)came back in KAZIGAYA hotel with us.

then,we went to family restaurant(Bikkuri-donkey)

We ate hamburger steaks and drinked a glass of soda etc.

Martin said:I came to Bikkuri-donkey...for the first time Today


bikkuri donkey meal:we ate...  

 Martin...three slice of pineapples and hamburger steak,rice,salad,melon soda

 kowalk...three slice of pineapples,rice,salad,coca-cola 

 Ryousuke...general hamburger steak,rice,salad,melon soda

 Sakie...TAKOYAKI(cut octopus and flour ),shortcake

 kensuke...egg hamburger,rice,salad,coca-cola

 Ikuko....mince-Japanese radish and hamburger,rice,salad,ice cream


(The Elders and the Kato Family at the Bikkuri-Donkey Restaurant in Kazigaya.)


We did not know how to live daily life,and moneys of living expense in Tokyo,the relationship 

between BYU university and church of Jesus christ of Latter-day Saints.

until now...Probably,We supposed that Martin can spend in Tokyo by his parents allowance 

every month??? 


But Kowalk said:I am staying in Kawasaki that withdraw 30,000yen from a bank account

                every month by my savings.

               (He worked a part-time job when he was school student.)

I was surprised to the cost of living...really??  30,000yen??

Usually,Japanese people can not live in Tokyo,and even 100,000Yen.

My husband said me:They can live simple life,They have no notebook (computer),and no cellular phone

                   etc...

Martin said:I have no notebook however, I go to Kazigaya every week.

Ikulo said:Why do you go to Kazigaya? 

Martin said: I can use to notebook for free there. 

Ikuko said:I could understand...

My husband said me:Martin and Kowalk are smile and a man of strong will.

                   We need to follow their example.


(Ryosuke Kato and Martin Mumford- two friends reunited again!)

Now here is Martin's report of the visit:

The Kato Family came to visit me here on Sunday!  Hakuraku is a very confusing area, because there are so many different churches there.  But, they made it to the church just fine.  We sat with them in Sacrament Meeting, and then got to talk with them afterward!  It was so fun seeing everyone again!  Ryosuke and Sakie look much older than before.  I still had a picture from my homestay in Japan, and everyone looks so different now.  I also got to hear the stories from them explaining all the pictures that they sent you (and you forwarded to me).  It sounds like they're having so much fun in Hamamatsu! 


Here is the rest of Martin's e-mail this week:

Hey, cool story...  We were sitting in the Email place on the computers, when we got a call!  It was from one of our cool investigators!  He said, "You know that last part you talked about... the Holy Ghost?  I heard it.  It told me that this is true."  And I was just completely floored.  Just a random call from someone who got an answer.


Unfortunately, he's way busy with work and had to cancel our original appointment, but I told him to just keep reading the Book of Mormon and strengthen his faith until we could meet again.  He's so cool!


So, if we could add one more to your prayer list;


Koizumi (or 'kenny' as he calls himself).  He's probably in his 40's-50's, married, sells calendars for a nearby Temple.  Just an incredible guy.  We were passing out flyers for English class and he was sort of lingering around like he wanted one, so I went over and explained it to him.  Turns out he was interested in Mormons, said he thought it seemed pretty cool, and had learned a little from buisness trips he had made there.  Gave him a lesson 1 pamphlet and we met with him later on!


And he already got an answer.  This is going to be way cool. :)


The miracles just keep pouring in.  I think we have a little more space to squeeze in just a few more, so keep on praying!  Thanks everyone for the support, prayers, letters, and something else that I forgot probably!  I really appreciate it!


See you all in 2010!


Love,

Elder Martin Mumford


TOKYOOYOKOT

 JAPANNAPAJ

1 comment:

  1. What a great visit that must have been for him!

    I'm reminded of a timeon my mission when a lady that Dad knew came to Brazil and brought me a package with some just baked (by Karen) chocolate chip cookies.

    ReplyDelete

Kunitachi Slide Show

Shibuya Slide Show

Kawasaki Slide Show

Yokosuka Slide Show

Elder Mumford Tries Natto For the First Time! (Smells like bad foot odor)

MTC Slide Show