Dear Everyone,
We had a lot of interesting experiences this week, so I'll just share a few.
1. We met Christina again, the lady from Russia. We already gave her the Russian Book of Mormon, and this time we wanted to see what she thought about it.
Unfortunately, we had overestimated her English ability before. It turns out that she really doesn't speak English that well, OR Japanese, and it's just one huge blend of English, Japanese, and Russian. So we started explaining about the Book of Mormon. We started by talking about God. It was good, but she suddenly said 'I dont vant to talk about this sing, I vant to talk about... (flips through the pamphlet) THIS.' She points to the First Vision. Well, that's still a good topic, so we talked about it. Then she said a word in russian and wanted to know how to say it in English. 'You know, two man, one face'. We figured out she was talking about twins. 'No, no, those two people that Appeared to Joseph Smith wern't twins, they were God and Jesus Christ'.
So we read Moroni 10:4 in Russian, Japanese AND English, and all testified. She felt the spirit, and was very moved. It was very good, but then she had to go and have a smoke suddenly. So she went outside, then came back. And when she came back she was completely different. She freaked out. 'Vat do you think you are doing? Do you think you can trick me? Try to (random russian words) money. I cant help you with the Police (russian) Im not from this country so the (russian) no help (russian). You think you can trick money (russian) and Joseph Smith with (russian) smoking. (russian) in California. Police are (russian).' Then she said 'I have to go now. I will come back next Wednesday, see you'.
Anyways, it was the wierdest lesson I've ever been in. She just completely went nuts and ran out of the room. I think she thought the lesson was some sort of a police set-up or something. Anyways, she may or may not actually come to next weeks lesson, but if she does we are trying to find someone who can explain in russian what we are doing. This is just us explaining about our church, not some crazy police stake-out. Wierd.
The whole time we are passing all these old grandmas. After many long tiring switchbacks up this mountain, we come to some stairs. Still the river of grandmas are pouring up and down. So we climb the stairs (super steep), and lo and behold, MORE stairs! And more grandmas.
At this point we're really curious whats at the top of this thing, so we press on. Finally we clear the stairs and theres a huge... rose garden.
I should have guessed. Anyways, we found this giant rose garden and its just packed with old people with giant cameras. So we walked around and talked to all the grandpas with cameras, and all the grandmas painting flowers, and it was just a jolly 'ol romp though the rose fields.
(Viewing a sakura park at night, with Japanese lanterns lighting the path, far into the distance.)
Anyways, Elder Kowalk's computer keeps shutting down, Im gonna switch him computers so that he can get his email done.
Thanks everyone, Good Luck, Have Fun!
Im loving all the support, letters, emails, prayers...
Love,
Elder Mumford
T.[J].o.[A].k.[P].y.[A].o.[N]
Great pictures and video!
ReplyDeleteLove the discussion with the Russian lady. Martin sure has a way of telling about funny things.
ReplyDelete