Current Time In Tokyo Japan

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

MTC Week 11-Bikkuri Shite!

This is our last week at the MTC, and everyone is getting ready to go to Japan! Our whole zone went to the temple super early today so we could take pictures together. We ended up taking them in the rain and wind, but it was still fun. It snowed today, as Mallory probably has told you.


Friday (Halloween) was an amazing day. We had a special meeting for all the Japanese Senpai, where we heard some great stories. And not long after that we got our flight plans!


And when I went to sit on my bed, what did I find? With a loud crunch, I discover TONS of Dear Elder letters under the covers. (The district leader has been getting creative with distributing the mail.) I was SHOCKED, and it took me a while just to open them all and read them.


Thank you everyone who contributed! That was a real surprise, and much better than candy!


In Japanese they say, "Bikkuri Shite" (Bee-koo-ree she-teh) when they are surprised. That pretty much sums up how I felt! Thank you all very much!

Specifically, from the letters:

1. To those who asked if they celebrate Halloween in Japan, they do! It's probably a bit different though. In Japan they celebrate most major American holidays, such as Thanksgiving and the 4th of July. I'm not sure why, maybe it's just an excuse for a day off.

2. Also, good luck to everyone in the new ward(s), and especially with all the new callings! It's about time they split that thing, the building was bursting at the seams!


I mailed the letter on Monday that has my flight plan information, so that should be arriving very soon.


As for your question about our district (in the order you mentioned them):


1 - Elder Morgan (UT) [Tokyo]

2 - Elder Lawler (UT) [Sapporo]

3 - Elder Todd (Roosevelt, UT) [Sapporo]

4 - Elder Elder Lemme (Oak Harbor, WA) [Sapporo]


These are all the Elders in the room across from us.

Sapporo is the icy frozen tundra of northernmost Japan. We call them the Frozen Chosen, and they are already getting their eskimo-style coats packed.

And yes, Elder Todd looks a LOT like Obama. We call him Obama-sama (a highly honorific Japanese Title). We're really good friends, and I'm going to try to meet back up with him after the Mission at BYU.


Then the Sisters are:


1. Sister Shipp (UT) [Tokyo]

2. Sister Campos (Las Vegas) [Tokyo]


Also, I might send home my MTC Journal along with the rest of the stuff. It's mostly the same as what I've put in the letters, but there are some good things in there that never made it into an email. This way, I can start from scratch with a new, larger journal starting in Japan!


Anyways, good luck everyone! Make sure to shower Mallory and Madison with the same affection that you've been pouring on me!


Thanks!

-Elder Martin Mumford

-Tokyo, Japan!


MTC District
Back Row:(Left to right) Elder Draney, Elder Lawler, Sister McIntyre, Sister Shipp, Sister Campos, Elder Tangren, Elder Petersen. Front Row: (Left to right) Elder Todd, Elder Lemme, Elder Morgan, Elder Mumford

Kunitachi Slide Show

Shibuya Slide Show

Kawasaki Slide Show

Yokosuka Slide Show

Elder Mumford Tries Natto For the First Time! (Smells like bad foot odor)

MTC Slide Show