It's been another wonderful week at the MTC.
As we practice teaching in Japanese, there are always some amusing mistakes that come up. For instance, two sister missionaries were teaching about the Word of Wisdom. They wanted to share a scripture (1N 3:7) about how the Lord will prepare a way for us to keep the commandments. However, because we can't really tell what a verse is about just by looking at it in Japanese, they shared a different scripture. So, instead of [1N 3:7], they had the person read [3N 3:7]... "Yield yourselves up unto us, and unite with us and become acquainted with our secret works..." But because Japanese people read so quickly, the sisters didn't realize it was the wrong verse, and continued as normal, asking them how they felt about the scripture. We all had a good laugh about that.
This Friday we get our flight plans, and it is usally difficult for missionaries to concentrate after that. I'll have to focus really hard for the last week in the MTC.
I feel somewhat confident that I can teach a simple lesson 1 and 2 now, and even the Word of Wisdom and Tithing. I feel reasonably prepared, but still a little nervous. Though, the sooner I set foot in Japan, the better, I think.
I've seen at least 6 people from May Hall 2200 come and go in the time I've been here. I think all of them are going spanish speaking (Elder Jensen is going to Argentina I think).
I read Grandpa Loveless' mission journal and I found that to be pretty interesting.
Thanks again for all the letter and things.
Love you!
-Elder Mumford
-Tokyo, Japan Mission!