'No e-mail again this week, but we did receive the following letter and pictures from Elder Mumford, in the mail:

(Elder Matias, the Fujisawa Elders, and Elder Mumford meet together for p-day.)
Dear Everyone,
First of all, I have to apologize for the lack of e-mail last week. After we got kicked out of the e-mail place last week, we went to a few different areas looking for somewhere else to e-mail. We found one, but it only had 2 computers, so two of us 4 missionaries needed to sit out this week. I highly doubt there will be any time this week either, because we are going to the Tokyo Temple, and then out to eat Brazilian food with Elder Goes and his companion; so I am writing a letter instead.
Second of all. I need to thank you for the wonderful letters and packages. Especially thank you to Madison for those nice letters. It's always good to hear from you.
All that aside, this has been a really great 2 weeks. We've seen some amazing things. Recently our focus has been on the Book Of Mormon. (in lessons, and on the street) And it's really shocking! In the past 5 days, we've given 5 copies of the Book of Mormon to people!
One person we met as were were knocking on people's doors: He came back home from work RIGHT as we got to his door, so we introduced ourselves. I felt like I needed to tell him about my home-stay 3 years ago, in Hamamatsu, and that really surprised him, because that's the exact city where he grew up! He later accepted a Book of Mormon.

(The workbook the missionaries use as a guide when teaching Eikaiwa (English Class)
Also, whenever someone is not home, we usually post an English Class flyer just in case they have interest in that. Well, this last Sunday, one lady showed up to church with one of the flyers in her hand. We told her about English Class, then explained that right now is Church. English class is on Thursday, but if she wanted, she could see church as well.
She joined relief society, and even stayed for Sacrament Meeting. It turns out that her husband passed away 7 years ago, and she was very lonely, and so Eikaiwa might help her to have friends and something to do, but I think church would be even better.
Her name is Suzuki. I hope that she will come again.

(Sample page from the Mormon Eikaiwa lesson book)
(Click on the picture to enlarge)
...Right now the train just got very crowded,so I'll have to write more later.......
.......We just finished the temple session and now we are taking the train to the Brazilian Restaurant! Elder Gerber (who was with me in Shibuya) is coming too.
Presently, we have a lot of people who want to listen to us, so we should be able to help a lot of them this coming week. Many times you feel like you never want to stop being a missionary, and now is one of those times. Of course, we can always be a "missionary," but we only have this one chance to live like this, as full-time missionaries.

(Post it notes on the desk of Elder Matias.)
...Anyways, we are on the train back home now. The Brazilian restaurant was closed :(
But perhaps Elder Matias can leave a Portuguese message for Dad:
"E ai beleza? Como estao indo as coisas por ai? espero apos a minha missao ter a oportunidade de visita-los. bom prazer em falar com voce ate mais. Tchau Tchau!"
Yep, that's Elder matias. 'Hope he didn't say anything bad about me :)

(Elder Matias: Elder Mumford's current companion from Gauruja Brazil)
Thank you for always keeping me in your prayers. There are days when I can really feel that helping me through hard times.
Lastly, I wanted to leave you with a few words:
I know that this church, the Book of Mormon , and all they teach is true. I can say this because there have been many instances in my life when God has answered these questions for me. It's a great thing that we are doing.
Thanks for all your help.
Have a great week, and have fun!
-Elder Martin Mumford
T
O
K JAPAN
Y
O
It still floors me that he has these Brazilian companions. And it was great to read the Portuguese!
ReplyDelete