Current Time In Tokyo Japan

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Weather Outside Is Frightful!

(Mount Fuji in all her snowy glory!)

Here is Elder Mumford's Letter dated December 7, 2009:

Dear Everyone,


We're having a great week out here in Shonan. Come to think of it, Im not really even sure why this area is called shonan, there's no city or place around here by that name. But its still lots of fun.


Anyways, as winter approaches, the rain is finally stopping, and I have to bring a jacket in case the weather turns cool. We also both bought cheap 1$ scarfs, but because neither of us knew how to wear them we just put them on and tried to figure it out by trial and error.


VIDEO:
Click on the PLAY arrow to view.

We also had a great mission conference with President Albrecht and Elder Aoyagi of the 70. He gave us a really good talk and a powerful testimony. They talked a lot about working with the members to try and get people's courage up. They discussed how missionaries should be encouraging and not pushy, not constantly demanding members to talk to their friends.


(This is the BIG church where the recent mission conference was held. Yes, it is an LDS church! They don't make them like they used to.)

The hardest part is helping people have the courage to talk to their friends. At times, it almost seems impossible. Some people simply are so terrified and horrified at the idea that they dont want to even tell their closest friends that they are christian, let alone mormon. That fear has been the greatest stumbling block so far. I cant figure out how to help them.


I know that someday that will change, and that widespread fear and hesitation will eventually go away. I want to help NOW but it feels really slow. However, I know that this is the Lord's work and eventually it will change. There is progress, even if it is extremely slow, so that we will one day see the result. I am exited to do it though, because it actually requires us to be creative. The ward has been challenged by the missionaries many many times before in the same way, so now we have to think of something different to figure out what will work.


Anywyas, that's what Ive been thinking and planning about recently. Its much more of a wall than I expected, but if we try our best, be creative, and ask for the Lord to help us, we'll find away over.


All right, now for the questions;


1. Are you still the district leader in your new zone? Its usually for 1 transfer only. I actually stopped being district leader last transfer already. It changes usually every transfer.


The missionaries get to know each other at a district meeting, with an activity on the white board.

2. Would you like us to send you any Christmas decorations? Christmas decorations are always welcome! We actually already have a few nativity sets, however. Also I dont know how possible this is, but do you remember that really good cinnamon milk mix stuff that we had in previous winters? A small bag of that would be amazing. (By the way we still have lots of hot chocolate left, so we're still alright on that front). Also I seem to have misplaced my egg nogg recipie. If you could email it back to me at some point, we'll enjoy some good homemade egg nog this winter.


3. What would you and your companion like for Christmas? Hm... Im trying to think of things that are fun and still missionary-appropriate...

1. Once agian, another calendar. That was a really cool gift last year.

2. Teeth whitening strips. (I should probalby start doing that again). Im doing just fine on everything else medical related.

3. A new Journal. Im actually very close to finishing my one I have now. If it's ok Ill probably send it home for Christmas present, or if you want I can wait till Mother's day.

4. Candy! We love candy. It helps so that I dont have to keep cutting holes in my belt. Like I said, I think we should have gotten the 'reverse-thanksgiving waisband' instead :)

4. The best thing - pictures!

5. There were 2 number 4's. Gomen. (sorry)

6. Completely random, but I just remembered. Elder Goes recommends 2 resuraounts in California as the 'best stuff ever'. These are (1) In and Out burger, and (2) Rubios.

7. Elder Goes says he doesnt really know as far as gifts. However I doubt that he would turn down candy of any sort. :)


And a partrige in a pear tree, if it's OK.


5. How is your Japanese coming. Are you able to understand almost everything now? Japanese is better, always better. Never perfect. I can understand a lot of what people say on the street and in lessons, but the real test is always sacrament meeting. When I first arrived, I could understand about 1% of sacrament meeting. Now I can get about 35%. Ususally missionaries get up to nearly 50% by the end of their mission. However there are always certain speakers (particularly old women who speak really fast and super 'dripping with thick politeness') who I get absolutely 0% of their talk. So I've still got a long way to go.


But in general, with the exception of old people, I can understand maybe 75% of what people say to us on the street. Im learning lots of new words and phrases and grammar just by talking to people on the street.


Also Elder Goes had bike issues this week. We were riding out at the beginnign of the day, and all the sudden he says 'Elder Mumford, my tire is shaking!', and it turns out he had a flat. Well, we couldnt help that, and the town we were going to was REALLY far away, so we took it back to the city, bought a tube, and went back to the apartment real quick. Problem - as we took off the back tire to replace the tube, a lot of stuff started falling out of the middle section. Things that looked like they shouldnt fall out. Very broken things. They were followed by about 18 small ball bearings which immediately siezed the opportunity to scatter in every direction. It was a little problematic, because I being the wonderful bike expert that I am, didnt actually know that those things were in there in the first place. Thus I wasnt sure how to go about putting them back...


The bike shop said they couldnt fix it, and it would take (once again) 3-7 weeks for them to order new parts. So back we went, hoping for the same result as last time.


So we tinkered with it for a while, trying to line up all the little steel balls in a circle inside the tire, but no luck, they just fell out again. Also I got very greasy (see pictures later). We eventually concluded that we couldnt fix it (seing as the main inner chamber thing was actually broken in half), and gave up.


Its OK though, we eventually remembered that one of our investigators, Edgar, has a bike that a missionary gave him a while back, and doesnt really use it. So we are now borrowing that one until we can get the whole situation resolved. Phew.


We actually have a lesson with Edgar tonight. I will be trying to speak spanish a little bit. That's going to be really interesting.


Anyways, that's just some of the things going on around Shonan recently. Its going to be another fun week! Thanks everyone for the support and prayers.


Hope everyone enjoys their Tuesday (or wednsday or whatever it is over there). Thanks!


Love,

- Elder Martin Mumford

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kunitachi Slide Show

Shibuya Slide Show

Kawasaki Slide Show

Yokosuka Slide Show

Elder Mumford Tries Natto For the First Time! (Smells like bad foot odor)

MTC Slide Show