Once again, I'm emailing on Wednesday (in Japan) We just keep getting so busy on Thursdays we have to email on Wednesdays.
Elder Frank gave me a great idea. Every 3 transfers (18 weeks) he makes a mission newsletter that highlights what happened, as sort of a picture/letter collage. I think next transfer Ill start that and send you a cool mission newsletter!
This week has also been a busy one. (I dont think there is such a thing as a non-busy week in the mission field). However, I have noticed some big changes:
1. My language is slowly, but surely getting better. I think most of it is from reading the Book of Mormon in Japanese. However I'm always shocked at how much I still dont know. For example, one night when we returned to the apartment, Elder Frank said, "You sure sound angry when you speak Japanese", which surprised me because I thought I was being as humble and polite as possible. It turns out that some of the Japanese filler words (like the enlgish 'umm') that I used made me sound like I was offended all the time. One of the Japanese people we talked to even apologized to me when he thought I was offended. I dont think Ill ever understand all the little nuances of the Japanese Language, but every day I am learning something new.
2. Yamaguchi-san was baptized and confirmed a member of the church this week. He made a lot of good friends in the branch, and our cake turned out fine! I took a video of us making it.
3. The 85 year old we met on the street met us again today. We had lunch and he really wants to meet with us regularly. Hes a nice guy that likes to talk about his family members that are going to prestegious colleges in America. He lived in Seattle for a few years as well. His name is Kawai-san.
Recently, we went on exchanges with the Yamate Elders. I went to Yamate with Elder Bennison (from Australia). He is only 2 transfers older than me, but his Japanese is near-fluent. I was so impressed, because he could read a lot of Kanji, and read so quickly, and talk so fast. I hope I can get to be that good by that time.
(Elder Mumford with the district leaders)
Exchanges are always fun because you get to see how different missionaries talk to people. Everyone speaks Japanese a little differently, and everyone seems to have their own opinion about what way is the best. I still havent figured it out.
-- As for the family coming to Japan, it's hard to think about right now because I dont know how Ill feel later on (or what the new mission president might change the rules to) yet. However, right now I actually think it might be better to just come directly home, and then if you want we can all travel to Japan together later. That way, I wont have to wear my suit and nametag everywhere I go with you. :)
(Jogashima, looking South to Mount Fuji)
I dont know yet where I will go this next transfer. I might stay in Yokosuka, but I could easily move to another area. I kind of want to go, and try a different area, but I have become so used to Yokosuka and the members here, and the city and all the people. Im sure all missionaries feel this way when they are leaving their bean area.
I love Japan. Here's to another week in this great country!
Love you,
-Elder Martin Mumford
-Tokyo, Japan
I always look forward to mis week, because it usually means an update on Martin's mission. Thanks so much, Karen!
ReplyDeleteI am surprised how hard the language is for you Martin. But it is such a different culture. I'm glad my umms aren't taken as being angry.
ReplyDelete