Current Time In Tokyo Japan

Monday, July 12, 2010

Words Of Caution, From A Wise Old Missionary.

Elder (Napoleon Dynamite) Mumford shares some sage advise, written in the ever popular, ENGRISH language. All photos below, taken by the camera of Elder Mumford. (Click on any image to enlarge)


And now, exerpts taken from the e-mail of Elder Mumford, from Japan, dated 7/12/10:

Dear Everyone,

We had a GREAT week! Ill have to tell you all about it.

But first, to answer some questions/comments:

1. I recently got a letter from Uncle Bill, and I wanted to thank him very much for that. Also both Grandmas sent me a letter, for which I have not yet had time to respond. (To be honest, I may just thank them in person in a few weeks :) But I wanted them to know that I really appreciate them.

2. Im excited to get the very last package. When I thought about it, I realized that any packages in the next week might make it, but if sent next week I probably wont recieve them in time. Im also getting a larger box and starting to fill it up for my 'Final Package' home. It will also contain Nicholas the Bear :)

3. As for missionary items, I seriously doubt anyone will want my bike :) It's been thoroughly trashed over the past 2 years, and I just pray that it will last for a few more weeks. As for shirts, next week I will be dry cleaning a few of the best ones, and doing the best I can, but I think Ill only take home with me the cleanest 2 long and short sleeves. They have gotten really, really grey and spotted. Ill take what I think Ill use, and send home whatever I dont need right now, but might need later. Everything else Ill just throw away or give to the other missionaries.

It was fun to hear about the stories from home, including Lupin getting stuck in a tree. Glad to hear that the cats are as genki as ever. Actually, about the cats, do you remember that cat pillow that you gave me last year for my birthday? The one with Tuna and Lupin with the book of mormon? Well I think Im going to actually give that to Elder Merrell, because he would like to use it the rest of his mission whenever he goes on exchanges with someone. It makes a great joke :)

Alright, so this past week we have been teaching a lot of people. Right now our primary focus is on these 4;
1. Yoshida - he is seriously considering baptism.
2. Inoue - he is 55, but is very shy and so has a hard time coming to church or other events, but wants to meet with us whenever he has some time, because he too is also very interested.
3. Wakizaka - really cool guy, he thinks that there may be something applicable in what we say, so he would like to hear from us one more time. We're hoping that he will understand where we are coming from, and try to get an answer for himself.
4. Tai Un - chinese, he doesnt really speak Japanese and no English, so it is really really hard to communicate with either us or the members. However, he likes meeting with us and loves coming to church and other activities. He's 19.

(Japanese Version of The Armor of God)

Some other interesting stories, we called a person who had ordered a 'together forever' DVD while in America. It turns out he spoke great English, and while he was in America for several years, he actually had a lot of mormon friends. In fact he watched 'the best 2 years' with one of them. We thought that was really funny.

(Japanese Version of The Armies of Helaman)

We are planning really effectively for these last 3 weeks or so. Im really glad to have had the opportunity to be with Elder Merrell this last transfer too, because I am learning a lot from him. We often talk about what we want to do in the future and hopefully we'll be able to coordinate something after he gets home as well.


This has been a great memorit.. memorable? English is so wierd.
This has been a great experience for me. It has made me appreciate so much more of life, and realize just what I need to do in the future.
Just today, we gained a great appreciation for the miracle of a garbage disposal, as we cleaned out the sludge that accumulates when nothing but pure water can get through. (everything else just piles up in the sink hole until it clogs) :)

Things I have come to appreciate:
1. GARBAGE DISPOSALS
2. Carpet
3. Beds
4. Standing up showers
5. CHEESE
6. Privacy
7. Free time
8. The Internet
9. Freedom
10. English


(Reflections of a Japan Missionary)

Things I will never forget:
1. Melon Pan
2. Good Ramen
3. My Purpose here in Japan
4. The People I Met
5. The People I Taught
6. The People that cared about us
7. The Ability to focus on other people without having to pay attention to myself/money/food/job/school/entertainment
8. The Miracles
9. The Japanese Culture, the most unique on the earth
10. Being A Missionary

VIDEO: Click Play to view.
And speaking of that unique Japanese cultrure, click play to view:


But that in no way means that any of those things will have to end. I strongly believe (as I mentioned last week), that all the power and energy and focus and joy that comes from being a missionary should never stop. If anything, once I return the horizons will be expanded, and all of that same power and energy can be applied to everything else in my life. It's like having a dam holding back all that water, you learn how to be effective in converting it into power because there is only the smallest opening. But then when the floodgates open and the potential is that much greater, I think I can do so much more than ever before because of what I learned here.

(To Infinity, and beyond!)

So, besides 1 and 2, I think all things that Ill remember will be more than just 'remembering the good times', but will be an active part of my life;
3. My Purpose in America will be very different, but it will be just as, if not more important. Ill always remember that.
4. I will meet more great people in my life, and they will teach me
5. I will have the opportunity to help and teach those people in return
6. I will meet more people who will care about me
7. I can use that focus even after my time in Japan. Ill never stop focusing on other people.
8. There will be many many miracles to come
9. Someday I want to help the Japanese people agian, and much of what I have learned about the Japanese Culture has given me all the more edge to help them in the future.
10. Being a Missionary - I will never be a full time missionary in quite the same way again. But I will be a normal person, and as a normal person, without the limits, I can do more than ever before. Ill never forget being a missionary. I will always attribute the greatness in the rest of my life to the changes that occured while in this service. And I am determined to take that, and make the rest of my life so much more great because of it.

(Turtle shaped melon pan. (Melon flavored bread)

So all in all, I am excited to see what happens here. Ill see you all in a little bit. I cant wait to talk to you then.

I hope that everyone has a great week, have fun!

Love,
Elder Martin D Mumford,
TOKYO, JAPAN

1 comment:

Kunitachi Slide Show

Shibuya Slide Show

Kawasaki Slide Show

Yokosuka Slide Show

Elder Mumford Tries Natto For the First Time! (Smells like bad foot odor)

MTC Slide Show