Current Time In Tokyo Japan

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

It's Getting Hot In Here!

Dear Everyone,
The long, long winter is finally over. So much for global warming! This year was a whole lot colder than the last one. I remember last time about this season, all the Sakura was in full bloom and it was already starting to get hot. But this time we really weren't able to see much because it was still icy rain and hail last week.
But despite the last little bit of winter, we had a great week.

Elder Clark, who is one of our Zone Leaders, stayed with us for 3 days. He is going around to each area in the Zone for 3 days each. He gave us some really cool ideas for all kinds of missioanry work here. We also met several times with the Higuchi Family, who is seriously considering baptism. They both are having a really hard time quitting smoking, so if you could always keep them in your prayers, I think it would help. Just yesterday, we met with them to help them set up goals to quit. So for one week they are taking a challenge to give up part of the Word of WIsdom, and also try to cut down on smoking, and see if God doesn't help them.

Also I have to apologize, because I'm taking a while to get the 3-transfer newsletter done. I will finish today, and send it along with the SD card. You'll be happy to know that there are almost 400 pictures on it :) Just bundles of fun.

Basically, to prepare for the coming of Elder Clark, we bought a few more groceries than normal, and made a super-breakfast the first morning. Then, using Elder King's delicous beans and tortillas, plus the great cheese you sent us, we had a way good spanishy dinner. The next day was chineese day, and we had gyoza (potstickers), chahan (fried rice), Mabudofu (mabudofu), and... that's about it. We also had a lot of fun together.

The Elders attempt to make a birthday cake for a member.
Attempt 1: Bread pan in the toaster oven.
Results: Very badly burnt on the top.


Attempt 2: Cake batter in the Rice Cooker
Results: Done on the top, but surprise! -completely undercooked on the bottom.

Attempt 3: Baked in a tupperware in the microwave oven. (Not shown.)
Results: Completely destroyed the tupperware, and the whole thing was thrown out.

Elder Matias decides to make the best of the situation, and stick in the birthday candles anyway!

Also, another random experience;

On Monday, we met a man on the street that had a grand total of TWO fingers. He was holding an umbrella, which occupied pretty much both of them, so I didnt feel it was a good idea to try and give him a flyer or anything. The good news is, that if he rode a bike (which I wouldnt be suprised if he did), he would only have to ever change one set of brakes. :) I guess there's always a silver lining.

We met a woman while knocking on doors who was a 'shufu' or housewife, she said. I told her that my mom was also the same, and from what I recall of my childhood, it seemed like a very difficult thing to do, more than a regular job even. And then we shared with her a rather complex summary of the restoration, which she had some interest in. She wants to hear more, but she wants her husband to be there (which is good, because so do we :). And so if she has that time she will contact us. But I think that someday she will have the chance to hear more about this message.


We also met a man on the street, and asked him for directions, because we were looking for a particular store, but at that time I didn't talk about the gospel at all, just thanked him and we went on our way. I kind of felt bad about that, but we continued. Much later, on a completely different part of the city, we ran into him again! This time we didnt want to leave without telling him about the restoration, so we talked to him for a bit and found out that he was currently out of a job, and had just come from a work-finding place and was returning home. He is hoping to find a computer programming job which gave me something to talk aobut. (I just have to say, I love Japan for this - pretty much a good 40% of the people you meet are computer programmers, and the rest are office paper-filers/receptionists, and so I love to talk to them about it. They often have helpful insights on that sort of job). We then told him about the book of mormon, showed it to him, and offered to explain more later when he had time. He seemed to have some interest, and so I think he will someday.


Also I just remembered, something from the previous Zone Conference. While listening to President ALbrecht's talk, I felt the spirit very strong, and I realized that it is very important for me to be in Japan at this time. Part of the reason is so that I could meet and listen to the advice of President Albrecht. His advice is helping me a great deal in seriously considering my future, my job, the path of my whole life. God really does call each missionary where they need to go. Just like that talk in the most recenet General Conference, how every single missioanry is assigned specifically where they are required, by the spirit.

This week I have really gained a greater appreciation for the spirit and the ability to know more than we know, and understand more than we can understand on our own. Who wouldnt want help like this? Who woulnd't want the answers to every question of life, general or specific? I love having a sytem of guidance that is always available, as long as we live up to it. It reminds me of the note you made of the Stake Conference, that it is so important that we ask. What things might we be missing out on simply because we didn't ask for them?

I hope everyone has a great week, and keeps up a good attitude. If there's anything I learned here, it's that your attitude will actually determine a lot more than you think. Attitude can even eventually determine outcomes.

Thank you all! Have fun!

Elder Martin Mumford
TOKYO JAPAN

1 comment:

  1. That talk he referred to was by Elder Ronald A. Rasband, a distant relative of ours.

    ReplyDelete

Kunitachi Slide Show

Shibuya Slide Show

Kawasaki Slide Show

Yokosuka Slide Show

Elder Mumford Tries Natto For the First Time! (Smells like bad foot odor)

MTC Slide Show