
Current Time In Tokyo Japan
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
There's No Place Like Shonan!
(Elder Mumford tries on Elder Matias' glasses!)
The Following is from Elder Mumford's e- mail, dated March 22, 2010:
Dear Everyone,
First of all, thank you very much. This week I recieved the Easter Package, and the wonderful picture book, as well as the much coveted easter peeps. (of which we ended up microwaving one after all). Now that the weather is getting better we can find a P-day to use the bubbles that madison send us :)

(What happens when you microwave an "Easter Peep?" Try it and see for yourself. )
Also thank you so much for making all the arrangements for BYU and housing. I dont know what I would do without your help.
That's good to hear Mallory's back with the good ol' harp ensemble. I miss all of our musical events.
(Elder Mumford's sister, Mallory purchased a nice missionary journal to give to her older brother for Christmas. But after she bought it, she realized that the journal was actually designed for "SISTER" missionaries. Not wanting to go through the hassle of returning it to the store, she decided to just go through the journal, and simply cross out the word "SISTER" and write in "Elder" and then send it to him anyway.) (click on image to enlarge.)
Anyways, some cool things that have happened this week:
1. Ishikawa-san, our high-school student accepted to keep the word of wisdom for 1 week, so see if he feels like its the right thing to do. The only thing that he has to give up is tea, since he is too young for anything else, and he doens't like coffee. But he's such a cool guy. He loves to read and to pray, and has a lot of faith.
2. Sato family. A very kind man who came to English Class recently. Last week he showed up suddenly at the church, with his 9-year old daughter. This week he came too, she loved primary, and she actually bought a bible durring the week so that she could bring it to church. The ward is planning a nice family dinner to invite them to. He actually had to leave early because he had work, but he said that he would like to join this church. Sometimes, there are people so prepared that you see miracles like this. An amazing family finds something that will make them truly happy. Im excited to see how it goes!
3. Christian. Very nice name, he is from Peru and has just barely moved to Japan. He doesnt speak any Japanese. He actually saw us before when Elder Matias and I went to play soccer with some people. Then we met him riding his bike on the way home, and we offered to teach him some japanese this week. We met with him, and he is so nice. We also gave him a Spanish book of Mormon and explained what it is, and I got to use the only phrase I know in spanish, 'I know that the book of mormon is true'. :) Elder Matias was able to explain everything else.
(Just Read It!)
As for the future, I have no idea about transfers yet. I hope I can stay here 1 more to see Ishikawa and the Sato Family through everything. But in any case I know that the Lord really is working in the hearts of the people here, and everything will be all right. I've learned a great deal from my experiences in Shonan, and even if I have to leave I feel like it has been a well spent time, and I could play a helping role in the lives of many people.
I've come to realize just how important it is to love the people. It is so extremely important for other people to recognize that you care about them. It really doens't matter in the end how much you know or how skillful you are at somethign, people will really have a lasting respect for you only if they see that you honestly care about them. And if you really show that you care, people will listen and want to help you in turn.
This last little bit of my mission, I have re-prioritized my goals. My new work, study, and goal focus is going to be mainly on love. Language, Skills, everythign else is going to be secondary for the moment. I think if I put that focus at the top, a lot of thigns will change and become better about me as a person.
(Elder Mumford's big "To Do" list: "Learn Everything!"
(Click on image to enlarge)
Someone once said, 'If you want results that have never been seen, you have to do things that have never been done'. And that is true. You can't chantge yourself by trying the same things over and over. If you want to change what kind of a person you really are, you have to DO different things than you have done before.
That is my new goal. I hope that before I leave I can feel the reassurance that I am doing something right here in Japan, like in scripture Helaman 3:35 'Nevertheless they did afast and bpray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their chumility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the dpurifying and the esanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their fyielding their hearts unto God.'
So I hope that all of you have a wonderful week, and work hard at all of the different stages of life you find yourselves in. Thank you for your help and prayers for me. Have fun!
Love,
-Elder Martin Mumford
-TOKYO, JAPAN
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have told myself I would start being a better missionary when I turned 50. Nothing happened. So I guess through prayer and fasting as that scripture says, I can find ways to be a better missionary and go from there. Thanks Elder Mumford. - Rhonda
ReplyDeletePeeps are our favorite Easter candy too, every single one of them has gone in the microwave this year. I am not sure if my kids know what un-microwaved peeps taste like. Elder Mumford, thanks for the updates, your letters are amazing.
ReplyDelete