Current Time In Tokyo Japan

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Scenes from Kunitachi

VIDEO: Click "Play" below to view.

Click on the "Play" arrow to see a Japanese Parking Lot.



Here is Elder Mumford's e-mail from Kunitachi, dated November 18, 2009:


Dear Everyone,


Im sitting in the library on a blissfully rainy winter afternoon. It still reminds me of Washington, except Washington is more of a drizzle. :)

(Elder Mumford and his companion prepare their rain gear for Japan's rainy season.)

Anyways, its great to hear from everyone. We just got the letter with the sidewalk chalk missionaries, and I thought that was very creative! Sounds like a lot of fun! I think if we were to try drawing on the streets of the city here, the police would probably arrest us for disturbing the peace and distracting people from their jobs :) Well have to try it sometime.

(These Elders, serving in Russia, found a creative way to incorporate their artistic talents into missionary work.)


(Note from Missionary Mom: The Mumfords are making another CD-- all hymns this time, using music that was recorded by Martin prior to his mission. But one song was recorded just a couple of months ago, and with Martin in Japan, he could not be included in the recording. So I played and recorded the guitar part for him on that one song. Madison felt this was blasphemy to record HIS guitar part for him. So I had requested permission from Martin to record the guitar part. Here is his response:


That sounds like an incredible CD, cant wait to hear our songs again. Also for the record, I thank Madison for being the guardian of my guitar rights over there. However seeing as I cant really help out with that while in Japan, I sign over those rights to play whatever you please on the guitar in my name (so long as its not cheezy). Thanks though, Madison :)

(The Mumford Family Musicians. This picture was taken just before Martin left for the MTC in August 2008.)

(Click here to listen to a sample of the Mumford's Music.... Also available on i-tunes, LimeWire, AmazonMP3, and lala. Search for The Mumfords)


OK down to some business;


1. Thank you so very much for the Halloween package, and other packages. I am always exceptionally happy to get them :) I will be sending a package tomorrow with a whole bunch of stuff, the 3-transfer newsletters, and pictures. As for Christmas, anything that you sent last time is also acceptable. Music, pictures, ties, socks... things missionaries can use :)


2. Travel plans. Still quite a distance away, but all options sound nice.

(Martin's release date is the same time as a family reunion in Utah. Here are some of the options we are exploring:)

(1) Martin would fly into Salt Lake City, rather than Portland and then drive with family to Utah Reunion- already in progress. Could be good to see everyone again right away.


(2) Martin would fly into Portland, take a taxi home (Family won't be there, we will be in Utah for the reunion.) What a coincidence, on my list of things to do upon returning, one of them is 'sleep for 3 days'. This might be OK, but I wonder if I would want to be alone for my first 3 days back. Im still not sure.


(3) Mom doesn't go to reunion, but stays behind in Portland, to pick up Martin, and keep him stocked in Pizza until everyone else returns from the Utah reunion.) If its not too much of a pain for you to take care of a son that you thought had left the house for good, this might be a good option :)


Ill keep thinking about it, and if I change my mind Ill tell you. Probably number 3, but IM not sure. Im not going to worry too much about it until Christmastime anyways.


OK, Kunitachi:


We have some miracles. We began to teach 3 new people in 3 days. Essentially this is the biggest breakthrough that has happened since I came here. We are very excited about;


1. Oobayashi. very spiritual person, thinks that Joseph Smith is probably right, and that our testimonies are definitely true. He wants to feel the spirit, and now is reading the Book of Mormon, but he sais he doesnt understand any of it.


2. Nakamura. He came to English class after 10 years break. Says he just retired and needs religion now that he has free time. Wants to come to church from now on (forever, every week). Turned down the book of mormon because he wants a triple instead. Unfortunatley, he doesnt see the need to actually meet the missionaries and hear from them. He wants to learn about the church simply by coming to church on sunday and participating. We're working with him to eventually hear the lessons from us. Very nice man.


3. Kiichi. We met him forever ago, and he agreed to take us on a tour of his Temple. So we went this last sunday, and it was HUGE. It was essentially COnference Center size, with a airport-looking international department. He took us around the various floors and showed us all the interesting statues and exxplained some of it.




Afterwarsd, we taught him a short lesson, and he was very interested to read the Book of Mormon. He kept flipping throught it and was really intersted. So we're gooing to try and meet him in 2 daays to discuss a little more. :)


So it has been a crazy week.


Anyways, I think were going to be kicked off the computers soon, so I got to wrap this up.


Thank you everyone for your love and support. Have a great time!

-Elder Mumford,

TOKYO, JAPAN

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed with the CD being available all those places. And it sounds like Martin has some great people to teach!

    ReplyDelete

Kunitachi Slide Show

Shibuya Slide Show

Kawasaki Slide Show

Yokosuka Slide Show

Elder Mumford Tries Natto For the First Time! (Smells like bad foot odor)

MTC Slide Show