
(Elder Mumford was fully prepared for Typhoon Melor, but by the time it reached Tokyo, it had blown itself out.)
From Elder Mumford's letter dated October 13, 2009
Dear Everyone,
There was a Typhoon on Friday. (Or at least there was supposed to be one.) We got a call on Thursday night saying it would be the worst typhoon in 20 years, so we should take a cleaning day that day, instead of Saturday. But before morning study had finished, the rain had completely stopped, and there was no wind. Apparently the wind had been SO strong that it simply blew all the rain clouds away, leaving us in a perfectly normal, blazing hot summer day with not a cloud on the horizon. A little bit disappointing from what we were expecting.
I have some information!
I will be STAYING IN KUNITACHI , with Elder Remington! Which will be rather cool, because I'll be here during his birthday on October 29th.

(Elder Mumford and Elder Remington)
We had General Conference in the Kichijoji stake center. General Conferences are essentially like a missionary superbowl. Everyone is excited to hear it. Especially with the announcement of the Sapporo Japan Temple.
I think the trend or overall theme that seemed to come out of it was "The Spirit" and also "Families." It's kind of sad we have to wait so long before we read the talks. It's really helped me appreciate what resources we have as normal people. You can just get on the internet and essentially listen to or read every General Conference talk ever, in just about any language. Every other CES fireside or a general address is available whenever you feel like it. I really miss just how easy it was to get ahold of information.

Anyways, I found Jeffrey R. Holland's talk about the Book of Mormon to be especially powerful. (As he always tends to be in his talks.) I'm excited to read that one again, but I'm sure it would lack the effect of actually hearing it.
Well, It's been quite a hectic week, getting ready for the transfer,and with General Conference, but it's been fun. Unfortunately, that means I'll not be e-mailing the next 6 weeks as well. (We still cannot find an e-mail place!) But letters are alright, I guess. (Just a little slower.)

(Ripening rice fields in Japan.
The fields are flooded and by the end of the summer they dry out and the plants mature and are soon ready to harvest.)
Our days are still generally the same: Wake up. look, find, search, try to talk to everyone, go to bed, with no visible results at the moment. It is said that some missionaries see great harvests and some plant the seeds. Right now we are desperately trying to plant seeds, however tiny, and hope that someday they will be ready. We are definitely having a lot more fun finding.

(As the grains ripen and the plants dry out, the tops do start to turn a white color.)
-For behold the field is white already to harvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in store that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul. (D&C 4:4)
This is by far the most difficult time of my mission. It is also the time I have learned the most. We will keep on trying.
Also Elder Remington told me about this amazing Japanese drink called "Ramune." I had no idea it existed. It's sort of a drink/game because it is sealed with a little glass marble, and you have to catch the marble in this little hole in order to drink it. It is both delicious and fun!

(Ramune Soda. Sealed with a glass marble.)
Another fun story: We have recently been knocking doors in a place that has come to be known as "the scary danchi" or "scary apartment complex." We were making out way along the rows and columns of apartments , when we heard this loud, frightening organ music blasting out. The closer we got, the louder it got. Finally we arrived at the door, and it was my turn, so I knocked. The music abruptly stopped, and we heard someone come to the door. He opened it, and in slow deliberate english, he said:
"I'm... listening... to... music. DO NOT DISTURB ME."
In an attempt to salvage the situation, I asked what kind of music he was listening to, and he said,
"Johann Sebastian Bach."
Then slowly shut the door, and the music started again. Very interesting.

(This is one scary danchi!)
Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well in school, at home, and whatever else you may be up to these days.
Love,
Elder Martin D Mumford
東京 日本
(Tokyo, Japan)
Bach in Japan!
ReplyDelete