Current Time In Tokyo Japan
Friday, September 25, 2009
How I Know What I Know.
Dear Everyone,
Another wonderful week in Kunitachi! It's finally starting to cool down over here. There are still really hot days, but for the most part, it is turning into Fall. In Japan, Fall and Spring are fairly short, it seems like Summer and Winter are pretty long. But maybe that's because I am a missionary and out in the weather all day.
Also, I got your letter about your trip to Hawaii. When we went to the Honbu to pick up Elder Remington, I had a chance to meet Elder Ochiai (Who's sister you met in Hawaii) and even got some picutes of him. I'm sure he will be happy to hear about you meeting Sister Ochiai.
(The Mumford family met Sister Ochiai from Japan, while visiting Hawaii. She was in the Provo MTC the same time that Martin was, only she was learning English. Her little brother is serving as a missionary in the Japan Tokyo Mission.)
As far as your home stay exchange students from Tokyo, you can give them whatever you feel is best. If they don't know you very well, it might be a bit strange to receive a big thick religious book. But if you get to know them, I'm sure it would be fine to explain about our church, simply take them to church activities (especially since they are there to experience American culture, which usually includes religion.) Give them the info where they can find church (and English class) in their own area in Japan. The city where they are from is in our mission.
Just be nice, but not creepy. There are many weird religions in Japan that put a LOT of pressure on people to join, and are kind of scary. Sometimes they use scary methods of keeping people once they join, so many Japanese people have a very negative image of churches.
I'm sure they would be happy to participate in any church acitivies, or Family Home Evening though. And any other materials you want to give them, just pray about it. They'll gladly accept whatever presents you want to give them.
Many people have the opinion that it is wrong to claim that you are the only true church. I am told frequently that the way to prevent wars is to admit that every religion in the world is correct, and stop worrying about it. But, unfortunately it really isn't that easy. This is simply a difference gap in our ways of thinking that no testimony has been able to bridge so far.
I know this church is true, not because someone else told me it was true, not because I was raised in it, or was brainwashed or tricked into it. I know that it is 100% true because I received an undeniably clear answer from God himself telling me so. That will sound like a ridiculous thing to say by anyone who has not received the same answer themselves, but it is true. I got an answer. It wasn't my own thoughts, opinions, or feelings, but a separate, much greater influence that I felt. I got a real answer to my question, "Is this true?" and since then I have had MANY answers to many other questions.
Other people may rationalize and say that it was all in my head, or "wishful thinking" but I will always know that the experiences I had were so much stronger than what I could possibly invent in my head. I know without a doubt that God exists. I know that he has a church: This one, and that following it's teachings will bring more happiness in this life and in the next than can any other activity, religious or otherwise.
I am not operating on blind faith. I can be as open as any other person, listening to people explain their own beliefs and opinions, and trying to understand. I can listen to others criticize this church, tell me it is wrong, and I will listen carefully to find out if they have a legitimate point. I don't believe there is anything that could prove my personal experience wrong, so I have no qualms with listening to people try to do so. So far, I have heard nothing that would give me reason to question why I believe what I believe. Because of this, and because of the many other witnesses I have had in my life, I can say without the slightest doubt or hesitation, that I do know that this church is true. That is simply how I feel about it.
Have fun everyone!
Love,
Elder Martin D Mumford
Tokyo, Japan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow! What a great testimony! And great parents taught him, too!
ReplyDeleteSis. Ochiai is very surprised to see her picture on your blog. But she loves it that she now knows who Elder Mumford is through his blogspot. She'll talk to her brother about Martin later.
ReplyDelete落合姉妹はハワイに伝道しながら、ムンフォード長老は日本に伝道します。 お幸せに。
(Melissa from Laie, HI)