Current Time In Tokyo Japan

Monday, April 13, 2009

The Lost Letter.

Elder Mumford wrote a letter about a month ago, because he didn't have much time to e-mail.    The letter was "lost" for a time, but was finally  found and arrived in our mailbox  this past week.  Here are exerpts from the letter, written  on March 5th:
Before:
One day we were on exchanges, and I get a phone call from the APs asking for Elder Fukuda.  Guess what?  He's the new Commissarian!  See you tomorrow! So off we go with hastily- packed suitcases, making our way to the honbu (Mission home) where there was another surprise waiting for me: 
After:
 A new companion: Elder Fukunaga!   More surprising still, Elder Fukunaga had only 2 weeks left of his mission, I discovered.  Neither one of us knew exactly why he was pulled randomly here, but we worked hard those last 2 weeks!

Elder Fukuda Quickly packs his suitcase for the sudden trip to the Honbu (Mission home)

Today is Elder Fukunada's last day of his entire mission, but he is still just as hard working as ever.  He was pulled very suddenly from Kofu, where he was about to baptize a whole family!  But he wasn't disappointed at all (He never said a word about it and never complained) just moved in and immediately began reading the records in the apartment, trying to know Kawasaki better.  

Most missionaries in a similar situation, with only 1 -1/2 weeks left in an unfamiliar area, would probably not put any effort into missionary work.  But Elder Fukuanga really inspired me, working hard every single day, up to the hour he left for the Honbu.  He takes his mission very seriously, I think because he had to give up everything to come here.  His family is SGI and really don't care for the idea, and he's basically on his own.

SGI is a mix between a club and a religion.  It was started by a Japanese man who came to BYU, took all the lessons from missionaries, studied the structure and organization of the Church, then returned to Japan and started his own.  It doesn't exist in America, but it's somewhat famous in Japan.  For some reason, members of SGI believe that it's huge and famous in America, the #1 religion, and are surprised I've never heard of it.  Just an interesting thing about Japan I never knew before I came here.

(Elder Fukunaga, studying the Kawasaki record books)

However, Japan is still amazing!  The people are usually extremely kind.  I realized this during the past week, since both of us are new tho the area, and we got lost a LOT!  If you ask for directions in Japan, EVERYONE is willing o help; passers-by will come over and help too.  Once  I asked an older man for directions, and by the time he finished explaining, there were 3 other unrelated strangers surrounding us, also trying to help.

Of course, the moment "Church" or "Christ" is mentioned, people are a lot less friendly.  I guess I've given the wrong impression so far, because I am a missionary. (No one actually wants to talk to a missionary on the street)  but as a normal person, on p-day, or when I am lost, the Japanese people are extremely kind.  

(Lost again)

By far the most common reply has been "Bukkyo Desu" ("I'm Buddhist")  As if that somehow invalidates my purpose as a missionary.  When pressed further, people usually explain to me, "You're Christian, I'm Buddhist, see?  Our religions are different, so there's nothing you can do."  It's always rather frustrating, because logic simply doesn't work in this case.  I try to explain that we have a message to share with EVERYONE!  But the same thing always surfaces again "I'm Buddhist, and you're Christian, do you understand?"

It's just that there's a sort of "This is the way it always has been, the way it is now, and the way it always will be.  I'll never change." attitude.  I want to exclaim: "Of course you're Buddhist!  95% of everyone in Japan is Buddhist.  I didn't come here to talk exclusively to Christians, I have come here to talk to you!"  but,  1- that would be rude, and,  2- I don't know how to say that in Japanese.

(Elder Mumford and Elder Fukunaga)

And then we meet people like Ishitani-san.  That person is a miracle investigator.  We had a lesson with him this week, and are meeting him every Thursday before Eikaiwa. (English class)  We talked about prayer, and he wanted to try it.  He is an amazing, open minded person.  His story reminds me of a quote: "There is no such thing as luck in the mission field, just a lot of micromanagement from God."  Somehow he applies for a job that requires knowledge about Christianity, and receives a flyer for....missionaries who are willing to teach about Christianity!  I have very high hopes for him.  We asked him to read the first 40 pages of the Book of Mormon.  "Sure, no problem!"

There are lots of people here who are ready to hear the Gospel.  I need to remember to not get weighed down by all those who are not ready.  We just need to keep looking!  If I could have ANYTHING I wanted right now, I would have a GPS that puts a little green dot on the map wherever there is a prepared person.  

Anyways, good luck at home, at school, at work, or wherever you may be.

Yours truly, from the great land of Japan!

-Elder Martin Mumford

2 comments:

  1. What a treat to get two letters in a week. Whatever happened to this Ishi fellow? - rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all could use a GPS for a lot of things!

    ReplyDelete

Kunitachi Slide Show

Shibuya Slide Show

Kawasaki Slide Show

Yokosuka Slide Show

Elder Mumford Tries Natto For the First Time! (Smells like bad foot odor)

MTC Slide Show