Current Time In Tokyo Japan

Friday, September 5, 2008

First Letter From The MTC

Dear family,
Everything is going well at the MTC.  We are learning a lot of Japanese here, and I'm really glad I took some in college before coming here.

There are 1600 missionaries here right now, but by the end of September there are supposed to be around 2500.  It's amazing, every Wednesday, about 500 new missionaries arrive.  I arrived with 20 other new Japanese-speaking missionaries, and we're all studying together.

There's a bit of a 
competition between the Japanese-speaking and Korean-speaking missionaries.  Each Saturday night, we all sing the same song, and see who can sing the loudest in our respective languages.

And just so Mallory knows, the Cannon Center serves the leftovers from the MTC.  It's the exact same food, but here it tastes amazing.  So, whenever Mallory goes to dinner, she can think to herself, "Martin almost ate that, but decided not to." :)

I saw Jacob Hill here, I think he's going to SLC, and there are a ton of people here from May Hall.

It's difficult, but fun.  I miss the cats, and of course you too.  You're probably enjoying the quiet time at home without me and Mallory, and I'm sure Madison is thrilled to do all of our chores.

Just so dad knows, they don't do the sticker dots anymore, but just about everything else he said is still the same.

So, I'll write next Tuesday!  Make sure to write me here!   martindm@myldsmail.net
-Elder Martin Mumford
Excerpts from the first letter he sent by mail. (Written the first night in the MTC)
They provided an overwhelming amount of study materials, providing all the standard works and a Japanese "Preach My Gospel"
I'll be sending home most of the Japanese books I brought, as the MTC ones are way better.

Sorry Mom, there was no "secret pizza party" behind the Missionary Exit, but the food here is extremely good!

Oh, and they have guitar hymn music playing in the laundry room.

I am enjoying every minute of it here, and my companion is extremely nice. *Pictures soon to follow*

Sorry for the brevity of my communication, I am trying to fit everything in before 10:30. (they let us write the first night.)

Also, this maybe the last few chances to sound intelligent (with English) before I begin at a 1st grade level of Japanese.

Thank you for all your support!

-Love 

Mumford-Choro 
(Elder Mumford)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kunitachi Slide Show

Shibuya Slide Show

Kawasaki Slide Show

Yokosuka Slide Show

Elder Mumford Tries Natto For the First Time! (Smells like bad foot odor)

MTC Slide Show